QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Saturday, February 13, 2016

Odd Log Cabin: A Free Quilt Pattern for JellyRolls

Vintage Log Cabin quilt in the Courthouse Steps variation
with darks and lights opposite each other.
From the prints I'd guess this quilt was pieced about 1880-1900.

Same time, similar pattern, different look.
The center square in each block is white, which makes the background shift into the foreground and vice versa. The blocks are not square.

I love this little antique top of rectangular blocks I found somewhere on the internet. Inspired by the way the blocks float I designed a similar pattern in  EQ7. First I'll show you the blocks in conventional manner as squares.



The block here is based on a grid of 7 x 7.
If you use 2-1/2" pre-cut JellyRoll strips
the finished block would be 14".

Combine a JellyRoll of my Old Cambridge Pike
with a JellyRoll of Moda Bella Solids in a white....


Cutting a 14" Block

A - Cut 2 white strips 14-1/2 " x 2-1/2".
B - Cut 2 print strips and 2 white strips 10-1/2" x 2-1/2".
C - Cut 2 print strips and 2 white strips 6-1/2" x 2-1/2".
D - Cut 2 print squares and 1 white square 2-1/2 " x 2-1/2".

How to Piece 

Start in the middle with a strip of 3 and add strips to either side. Work
your way out.

Set 16 square blocks in a 4x4 grid and the finished top will
be 36" square.

But this is not what the antique looks like.


 I realized it looks different because it's a rectangular block.

If you made your blocks 10" x 14" you'd get the same effect.

6 blocks across, 6 down---but the blocks
are rectangles so you wind up with a top
that is 60" x 84".

The only difference between piecing the rectangular
block and the square block is you leave off piece A.
Easy enough to do.

Mi Casa by Carrie Nelson (Miss Rosie's Quilts)

And here's a fabric idea I pirated from
Carrie's Moda blog. She used a variety of Moda Layer Cakes
new and old in her Sun and Shadow log cabin block. It's a great period
look with some contemporary drama.

The pattern is in a new book I Love Log Cabins.

See her post about it here:
http://blog.modafabrics.com/2016/02/cabin-fever/

She says:
"Mi Casa finishes at 77" x 77" and it uses a diagonal setting to make a "sun and shadow" or checkerboard of lights and darks. The strips finish at 3/4" wide so there are a few tips included about cutting and sewing log cabin strips, especially those that are a bit narrower."

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the neat eye candy! You always inspire me and your previous post made me appreciate Miss Dottie, your quilt helper, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for directions and photos, Log Cabin is a fav. of mine I can't seem to stay away from. Lots of fun here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt! I'm tempted to drop everything and start one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Log Cabins and I think that my next quilt just might have to be the rectangular pattern you have shared. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing prettier than a log cabin, and this rectangular version is special. Bookmarking this post for future reference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found old part of a quilt dated on back 1800 late log cabin thou it looks like courthouse steps

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete